The iPhone 7 was announced and released in September 2016 and has now completed more than the third year of its existence, whereas the special edition red iPhone 7 was launched later in March 2017. Several average smartphones would already be outdated after this much time, however, the iPhone 7 is still popular.
In 2016, Apple announced the release of the iPhone 7; it bagged almost 80% market profits of the smartphone. The iPhone 7 proves to be the best-selling device in 2017 as well. Apple stops the vending of the iPhone 7 on 10th September 2019. If you are interested in buying it, you have to purchase used one or from someone who is still having iPhone 7 in-stock.
And there is indeed a reason for the iPhone 7’s victory. The iPhone 7 is an amazingly well-designed that endures to live up to the hype even after three years of release. We will discuss in detail whether an iPhone 7 still a great choice in 2020?
Let’s have a deeper look.
From the outside, the iPhone 7 looks similar to the earlier generation that is, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s plus, enduring to features the same sizes and dimensions, but there are some visual and numerous significant internal modifications.
- For a cleaner and sleeker look, Antenna bands no longer at the back of the iPhone 7.
- There is a range of colors being sold. These include Silver, Rose Gold, Gold, Black (matte black color) and a Jet Black (high-gloss finish).
- Most outstandingly when we talk about design, the body of the iPhone 7 has been reengineered to be water and dust resistant, so it can save your phone from rain, splashes, and submersion in water for short time (Apple doesn’t give warranty of water damage so it is better to be careful with water exposure).
- Build: Front glass, aluminum body
- Dimensions: 138.3 x 67.1 x 7.1 mm (5.44 x 2.64 x 0.28 in)
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- Weight: 138 g (4.87 oz)
IP67 dust/water resistant (up to 1m for 30 mins)
Apple Pay is available (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX certified)
- In iPhone 7 there is no physical Home button. It has been interchanged by a “solid-state” pressure-sensitive button.
- The display is 25 % brighter and gives a wide color range for better-off, true-to-life colors.
- Protection: Ion-strengthened glass, oleophobic coating
- Resolution: 750 x 1334 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~326 ppi density)
- Size: 4.7 inches, 60.9 cm2 (~65.6% screen-to-body ratio)
- Type: Retina IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- 625 nits max brightness, Wide color gamut, and 3D Touch display & home button
iOS and performance
- The iPhone 7 is equipped with an A10 Fusion processor.
- A10 Fusion processor is 40 % faster than the previous iPhones and many latest smartphones.
- It is having two high-performance cores for system tasks and two high-efficiency cores that run at one-fifth the power to save the battery for smaller tasks.
- Chipset: Apple A10 Fusion (16 nm)
- CPU: Quad-core 2.34 GHz (2x Hurricane + 2x Zephyr)
- GPU: PowerVR Series7XT Plus (six-core graphics)
- OS: iOS 10.0.1, upgradable to iOS 13.2
- The iPhone 7 has a second 56mm telephoto lens for dual-camera functionality that supports better optical zoom.
- It also contains a new shallow-depth-of-field portrait mode that uses the two lenses to drag out the portrait whereas blurring the background.
- iPhones 7 has a four-LED flash which is 50% stronger and brighter.
- In addition, it is having an upgraded 7-megapixel FaceTime HD camera with auto image stabilization and better-quality sensor technology for improved selfies and perfect FaceTime calls.
- Single: 12 MP, f/1.8, 28mm (wide), 1/3″, PDAF, OIS
- Features: Quad-LED dual-tone flash, HDR
- Video: 2160p@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, 720p@240fps
- Single: 7 MP, f/2.2, 32mm (standard)
- Features: Face detection, HDR, panorama
- Video: 1080p@30fps
With the processor improvements, iPhone 7 also offers a good battery life.
- Battery life is improved, but not by sufficient
- Performance is much improved when watching video
Non-removable Li-Ion 1960 mAh battery (7.45 Wh)
- Music play: Up to 40 h
- Talk time: Up to 14 h (3G)
- No headphone jack – Headphones that connect to the iPhone 7 requires being connected to Bluetooth or having a Lightning connector because there is no headphone jack.
- Apple is delivering the iPhone with 3.5mm to lightning adapter and a Lightning EarPods.
- In addition, it is intended to be completely wireless high-tech AirPods to ease the change.
Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
3.5mm jack: No
Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- iPhone 7 is not having a memory card slot.
- It has three variations: the first one has 32GB internal memory with 2GB RAM, the other one has 128GB internal memory with again 2GB RAM and the last one with the same 2GB RAM and 256GB internal storage.
Card slot: No
Storage: 32GB 2GB RAM, 128GB 2GB RAM, 256GB 2GB RAM
Fingerprint (front-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer Siri natural language commands, and dictation.
So, Is the iPhone 7 still a good buy in 2020?
Absolutely! The iPhone 7 is an amazing device whose existing price is low. At nearly one-third of the worth of the iPhone 8 series, the iPhone 7 is an excellent inexpensive phone. However, if you desire to have the best and latest device, the iPhone 7 may not be a good option. If you are searching for a good, solid, and less expensive device, the iPhone 7 is a great choice.
SELECT THE IPHONE 7, IF:
✅You are searching for an iPhone with the budget-friendly price
✅You love capturing pictures, but you are not a photographer
✅You want more battery life and power, but the screen resolution is not a problem
✅Your desire to have an excellent smartphone at a very low price
DON’T SELECT THE IPHONE 7, IF:
❌You need the best and latest phone
❌You want to have the highest screen resolution
❌You desire to capture the best possible shots
- Here’s Why I Think ChatGPT is Not Going to Change the World - September 21, 2023
- European Union (EU) Expansion – Pros and Cons - September 7, 2023
- The Future of Algae-Based Bio-Plastic – Good or Bad? - August 14, 2023